t20 wc groups

T20 WC Groups : Afghanistan should be in the semifinals: Rashid Khan

T20 WC Groups as Afghanistan’s skipper, Rashid Khan, feels that the country’s youth will be inspired by their historic achievement of qualifying for their first T20 WC groups semifinal after thrilling victories against Australia and New Zealand.

Afghanistan, who joined the ICC as a full member in 2017, made history on Tuesday by defeating Bangladesh to advance to their first-ever T20 WC groups semifinal.

“I believe that the semifinal will serve as a tremendous source of inspiration for the youth in Afghanistan.” At the press conference following the game, Rashid stated, “That Afghanistan team made it to the semifinals for the first time.”

“And we have accomplished that at the Under-19 level, but not at this level. For us, even the Super 8s was a first, followed by the semifinals,” he continued.

Images of ecstatic supporters in Afghanistan’s home country commemorating their country’s historic victory quickly went viral on social media following the win.

Afghanistan demonstrated its growth in the white ball formats with this feat. In the ODI World Cup last year, they defeated Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the reigning champions, England. They beat Australia and New Zealand to continue their incredible killing run at the T20 WC groups.

“After the way we have played the entire tournament, I believe we should be in the semifinals. The way each person accepted accountability for entering the game and giving their all for the team,” Rashid remarked.

“So, I don’t know how I can describe my feeling but it’s a massive achievement for us as a team and as a nation to be in the semis and now looking forward to the semis.”

The players on the Afghanistan cricket team have spent years honing their craft in T20 leagues throughout the globe. But it isn’t easy to find a more devoted group of people than them when they gather together to play for their nation.

Afghanistan has found the ideal head coach in Jonathan Trott, a former cricket player for England who brings balance to the team with his cool-headedness. A side high in self-belief is the outcome.

t20 wc groups

“I don’t think there are excellent teams or terrible teams. Teams are all on an equal footing. As long as we made the proper choice at the appropriate moment on a given day, that’s what makes a difference when you’re losing. So aside from that, I believe everyone is equal in terms of skill,” Rashid stated.

In the semifinal, they will face an undefeated South African team. However, the Proteas were tested several times during the competition, particularly by minnows Nepal, who faltered and lost by a run.

“Well, it’s always that you get that kind of inspiration for any team you watch on TV and those small totals when the team defends it gives you lots of things to learn from and definitely the way Nepal performed in the whole competition was something pleasing to see.”

“They have performed admirably in their cricket matches against every opposition. And that’s the main idea behind T20 WC groups. You must believe in yourself enough to think that we can defeat any side if we act appropriately when necessary and keep things straightforward.”

During the match against Bangladesh, Trott motioned to his team to slow down, and Gulbadin Naib suddenly collapsed spectacularly onto his back while grabbing his thigh.

However, a few minutes later, the all-round player returned to the pitch and removed Tanzim Hasan from the game, raising doubts among several former players and pundits about the sincerity of his discomfort. Rashid, though, made an effort to downplay the event.

“Well, he experienced some cramping. I’m not sure what happened to him or what’s happening on social media, but that is irrelevant. It’s just an end-of-field injury that occurs, and we haven’t lost any overs. The rain arrived, and we continued playing; it didn’t significantly alter the match’s outcome.

“After five minutes, we returned to the field, and nothing had changed much. For me, it’s similar to getting a minor injury—you simply need to take some time off.”

Afghanistan demonstrated its growth in the white ball formats with this feat. In the ODI World Cup last year, they defeated Pakistan, Sri Lanka, and the reigning champions, England. They beat Australia and New Zealand to continue their incredible killing run at the T20 WC groups.

Also Read : Semifinals of the 2024 T20 World Cup: Afghanistan vs South Africa, India vs England